Sunday, July 12, 2009

Apartment trip #1

My mom and I headed out to east Tennessee yesterday to get the keys to my apartment. We got up and out of Nashville at 6am...way too early for a Saturday if you ask me. We got on the road and made the 2 1/2 hour car ride to Knoxville. We jammed to the new Rob Thomas album...which is fabulous by the way!


Because I wasn't able to be in Knoxville the day my lease tern started they had me fill out paperwork and send it to them via mail. THANK GOODNESS FOR THAT! When my mom and I got the office there were two girls going over their paperwork with one of the apartment office people. We got a different person to help us. I filled out a parking permit papar, got my damage assessment paper, and got my keys. All this in a matter of about 5 or 6 minutes. We were off to go see my new place. We pulled up to the building, and were about to head up the stairs...my apartment is on the second story. Then we noticed that my apartment wasn't up the stairs. It turns out that the 1st floor is actually downstairs, the 2nd floor is the ground level, and the 3rd floor is upstairs. AWESOME! Now hauling my 500 ton tv won't be as straining...well for my dad anyway. So we were super excited about that! We found my apartment, went in and started assessing. We had to fil out the damage form, so they could make repairs as needed. We walked around taking inventroy for 10 or 15 minutes when the apartment guy that gave me the keys came in. He went around the place with us taking note of what needed to be fixed. My balcony screen door has holes in it. It looks like the people before must have had a cat that liked to climb. There are few places where the paint needs to be touched up, but over all it looked good. The office guy finally left and we were trying to get a plan together for the rest of the day...we had a car load of stuff to bring in, we needed to make a run to the store to pick up a few things, we were hungry for lunch, and we didn't know when exactly the cable/internet guy was coming (you know they tell you from 11-2, but that doesn't always mean anything). So I headed out to the car to bring in a load, and noticed the front door was damaged. I think they replaced my door knocker, but they never repainted. So you can see where the old one was. I looked rediculous. So I ran down to the office to tell the guy about it. Would you believe that those poor girls were still there going over paperwork?! The apartment lady helping them was explaining what a smoke detector was and how it is used. Gimme a break! Just sign the papers already. So glad I had mine signed before! So I told the apartment dude about my door and headed back.


Just as I got back, the Comcast guy came! Yippee! So got my internet, phone, and cable all set up...and snappy too! He was quick...good, because I was starving!


So we headed to this place I remember passing the last time we were in Knoxville. It's called Salsaritas. Sounds like my kinda place. It was my kinda place! Great nachos and salsa! Mmmmm... So we got our tummys full and were off to the store. We went to Target first, hoping to get a list of things, but found ourselves side-tracked in the toy department. Thinking of no one else but guess who...Madison! We have a sickness. So Target wasn't a successful trip. We were off to Bed Bath and Beyond...another unsuccessful trip. Next. Best Buy. Nope nothing there either. Finally we went to Dollar Tree! Bing Bing Bing! We loaded up on lots of stuff. Broom. Dustpan. Dusting cloths. Can opener. And many other things. EVERYTHINGS A DOLLLAR!!!! Love it!


We finally got back to the apartment. I wanted to get the new tv stand I bought built before we left so I could have something to put the tv on when it gets there next weekend. So we started assembly. Everyhting went smoothly until I realized that I built one of the drawers backwards! I really hate building furniture!


We were pretty exhausted, so it was time to hit the road again.


Here are some of the pictures I took.




This is when you walk in the front door. That's where the couch will go.


This is the other side of the living room. That is the wonderful tv stand we built. The front door is there on the left and balcony door on the right.



The galley kitchen. There is a little shlef over the sink. I kinda like it! Although I so wish it were a microwave.


The hallway leading to my room. The bathroom is down the hall to the right. I'm not including pictures of the bathroom. You've seen one toilet, you've seen 'em all.






My room. Well, half of it. That is my closet on the left. There is also another window behind the camera. The whole apartment has lots of natural light!


Things I like about my new place:
it's big...planty of room for all my furniture.
it's on the ground level...good for carrying in groceries.
a way bigger balcony than I thought I'd have.
it's mine and only mine!

Things I don't like:
no ice machine in the freezer...what the heck! Didn't know they made those anymore!
no microwave...ugh. Now it'll take up counter space.
squeaky floor...that'll take some getting used to.
lack of storage space...I have a lot of crap.

All in all, I think it is going to be fabulous for me! Looking forward to get the rest of my stuff up there and to really make it mine!







1 comment:

Sandra Cruz said...

I love your apartment. I know it is going to be so cute and how great is it that you ended up on ground floor!! That will really help unless you find some really cute guy around that would like to help you carry all those groceries in...Anyway can't wait to visit!! Keep posting..love ya and miss ya, San