Sunday, January 22, 2012

~done~

If you are on Facebook at all, you already know this.  But for those of you who don't already know...
I passed my comprehensive exams!! 

Friday afternoon I went in for my oral exam.  I spent an hour with all my academic faculty and they drilled me with questions and clinical situations.  It was sooooo terrifying and nerve-wracking!  After all their questions were answered they kicked me out of the conference room and I was left pacing the hallway as they deliberated.  I am sure it was only a couple of minutes, but I swear it felt like an hour. 

If I passed, then I would be congratulated and I finish out the semester before heading off to my fourth year externship, knowing I would get my doctorate degree at the end.  If I did not pass, I had to go through all the testing again, and it was at the academic faculty's discretion as to whether I may continue in the program or not. 

After pacing the hallway, heart racing, replaying my answers in my head and of course doubting myself, they finally called me into the room.  All seven faculty members shook my hand and congratulated me on a job well done.  Talk about relief!  A whole mess of emotions came flooding to the surface.  I barely made it to the hallway when I busted into tears.  I half cried and half laughed all the way to my car.  I am sure the people around me thought I was a crazy person.  I felt so relieved.  Accomplished.  Proud.  Shocked.  The weight of the world had been lifted. 

Later that evening, once the stress and adrenaline had subsided, exhaustion kicked in.  I hadn't really slept in 3 nights, and I hadn't eaten in 2 days.  It was bound to catch up to me.  I was in bed by 9:00 and woke up in the morning with chest congestion, coughing, and a headache.  So Saturday was spent in pjs, watching movies and reading a book in bed.  Today I am feeling a little better.  I was able to clean my house and go to the gorcery store. 

So glad January is over.  It was a bitch.  This week it is back to the norm...finally.  Back to the classes and clinic!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you, so happy for you and I knew you would do very well. I love you so very much. My Hero!!!

GiGi

BobbieSue said...

YEAH! YEAH! YEAH! So proud of you. Look how far you have come in 4 yrs. So happy for you! Love you,
Aunt Bobbie