Thursday, August 19, 2010

~My Grandpa~

Roy A. Hess
1926-2010

Monday morning, August 2, I was busy in clinic doing my thing, helping patients and learning lots. When I checked my phone at lunch time, I had a text message from my mom, saying to call, it was urgent. Sometime in the wee hours of the morning, my granfather passed away. It wasn't completely unexpected. He has been sick for some time now, and the night before Dad called me and told me that he had taken a turn for the worse. Luckily, I had called him the week before, and had a great conversation him. He made sure I knew how much he loved me and how proud he was of me.

Now, my grandpa was quite a guy. More often than not he was a grouchy fellow, stubborn, and hard headed. But if you got through all that he was very kind, thought of others often, and wanted nothing but the best for his family. After his passing we found all his paperwork from his many years in the military. He never wanted to talk about his time spent there. Upon reading the papers, we learned he was in the US Navy, Army, and Air Force, he was awarded several medals, and was part of several historic events.

Some memories I have of him...
~He let me ride in his lap...and even steer on occasion...while on the riding lawn mower cutting the grass.
~He had a store when I was little. I can't remember all the things he sold in it. All I remember were the toys! I always got to take one home. I still have one of them, it's a Little Red Riding Hood doll. Madison plays with it now.
~I can probably count on one hand how many times he called me April. I was always "Puddie Pie". Since birth I think. I loved it, even as an adult, it was special to me.
~His joking around. Anytime Grandma was making a delicious meal, he always said that Puddie Pie doesn't get that, she gets a bean sandwich. In all my years I have never eaten a bean sandwich, and you know what? I never saw him eat one either.
You may not have always agreed with him. He probably made you mad from time to time. But I know he was a wonderful man with lots to say and teach. My cousin, Chris, shared a beautiful peom that he wrote in honor of my Grandpa. I think it is perfect! I have the share it with you.

My First Grandpa To Go
These are my memories of Grandpa I can share with you.
Some may not agree, but in my head they’re true.
Now I lay you down to rest
Miss my head upon your chest.
Never did I doubt how much you care
Could be poking fun or resting your hand in my hair.
I would sit on your lap in the kitchen seat
You would have me read an article, a joke, or do a puzzle to beat.
You taught me manners and to help others if I can
How to treat a lady and how to be a man.
You taught me its always ok to be myself
Collect things I care for and put them on a shelf.
You taught me to talk to everyone, treat them as friends
And that family is family always…’til the end.
To me he was a man of emotions and heart
That’s how I’ll remember my grandpa from the start.
Grandpa, you were my greatest friend and my friendliest foe.
This is how I will remember you, my first grandpa to go.
I love you. Rest in Peace.



I love you Grandpa. You will be missed.

1 comment:

Tiffany L. said...

How beautiful. That describes the man I know as well. Though he was not my grandpa, he was a wonderful neighbor and friend. I will miss waiving to him every morning while he sat in the kitchen looking out the window. Roy will be missed.